Saturday, June 25, 2011

WOOOOO! FPGAA

I just got my new FPGA development board, BASYS2, by Digilent. Since everybody at my workplace seems to be using VHDL rather than Verilog, which is what I learned in school, I will be attempting VHDL this summer!

My first project will be to make an oscilloscope by the end of this summer. I will be polling an external analog to digital converter, giving it a time stamp, and sending it over USB to a Python script that will process the data and display it. The reason for using an FPGA is first to get practice with it since it looks like people like digital hardware experience. The second reason is because I can simultaneously poll and communicate if I create a buffer. If I were to do this with a microcontroller I would have to interlace the two actions, which is a pain.

My first step is to make basic components such as a register so I can start creating finite state machines and whatnot.