Monday, September 3, 2012

Realization

I've slowly come to realize how naive I am as a circuit designer. While working on my robotics circuits I have experienced unreliable circuit performance countless times. However, I had never considered to mitigate this effect through better design practices; instead I have constantly relied on programmed software calibrations to counteract variations between circuits. Considering that I use very basic 8-bit microcontrollers in my robotics projects, the several instructions for software calibrating sensor data was wasted processing time. Additionally, as someone studying circuit design this is a depressing state of ability to be in after studying so hard. Looking back to all of my circuits, I see that although my ability to analyze complex transistor typologies have grown I have never applied any of my new found skills. From now on I hope to utilize what I spent the last 4 years as an undergraduate studying as I rebuild old circuits and design new ones.