Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Making a Reflow Oven



I've started working on a DIY reflow oven based on this instructable.

Instead of working on it my usual way from scratch I decided to do it the easiest and fastest way using an arduino and a breakout board from adafruit linked here.

Today I got my breakout board and thermocouple in the mail so I put it together and tested it with the example code provided on the website. It turns out that as people have noticed the thermocouples have incorrectly colored wires. This was easily fixed by reversing the wires.

I broke down the project into the following steps, of which I am now moving on to step 2. However, before moving on to the next step I will need to figure out if the heat shrink around the sensor can handle high temperatures. When I tested it over a lighter it was smoking a bit and most pictures don't show a heat shrink tube around it.

  1. Setup and test the thermocouple
  2. Install thermocouple in toaster oven and monitor its temperature
  3. Order then install a solid state relay to control the temperature